Friday, August 5, 2011

Wrapping up...

...the most fun summer in recent memory!  I can't believe summer vacation is really over, but school starts Monday and the kids will arrive on Thursday.  I have really managed to pack a lot in the past 8 or 9 weeks.  I usually find myself with lots of days with nothing to do, but that has not been the case this summer.

Last Friday night Lindsey and I hosted a little end-of-summer shindig complete with tailgate games and Just Dance.  We had the best time playing ladder golf and corn hole, but by far Just Dance stole the show.  Everyone, and I do mean everyone, participated.  Some of us are clearly better dancers than others.  We finished off the night with a little trip to sing karaoke.  Most of the pictures will remain password protected to maintain the dignity of all those involved!

Robert and me Just Dancing

As soon as we got everyone out the door in the wee hours of Saturday morning, I fell into bed to get a few hours sleep before my big trip!  I flew to Washington early Saturday to spend a long weekend with Chaney and Charlie.  Chaney was my roommate senior year at Auburn and is such a dear friend.  We spent most of our time just catching up and enjoying each other's company, but we did squeeze in some shopping, eating (duh!), and house-hunting for her and Charlie...they are moving back to D.C. from Richmond in May.  Sunday afternoon we shopped in Georgetown and stood in line for a treat at Georgetown Cupcake.  The line moved really quickly and the cupcakes were great, but for all you locals, they don't hold a candle to Dreamcakes!

Standing in line for Georgetown Cupcake
I flew home Tuesday night only for reality to set in that I MUST get myself and my classroom ready for school to start.  I've been working in my room to get things ready and now we're down to the not-so-fun stuff like writing a syllabus, making lesson plans, and mountains of paperwork.  Thursday will be here soon enough and I can't wait to meet these sweet kiddos!

Last night I made a quick trip to Auburn because....MEG IS ENGAGED!  That's right, my sweet Meggie is getting married, and I was so excited to get to be there for her candlelight.  Meg is so very precious to me...the sister I never had to be honest.  I remember when she was born and have loved getting to watch her grow up into such a beautiful, smart, Godly woman.  I like to kid and say I've taught her everything she knows, but in reality, she has taught me so much.  For years she put up with me dressing her up in all kinds of crazy outfits, parading her around like she was my own real-live baby, and constantly telling her what to do.  I am thrilled that she and Jack are getting married and am so looking forward to June 9, 2012!!
Meg's Alpha Gam candlelight
As I celebrate the last weekend of summer, I look back and am so thankful for time well spent and friendships and relationships deepened over the past two months.  The Lord is so faithful to provide, and he has done so "immeasurably more than all I could ask or imagine" here in the 'Ham.  And I have to keep telling myself...just because school is starting doesn't mean the fun is stopping!  I'm looking forward to a fun fall filled with my favorite people (and football)!

No comments:

Post a Comment